As with our regular essay/memoir submissions, we are seeking strong and stirring personal stories.
STREETLIGHT'S 2020 ESSAY/MEMOIR CONTEST GUIDELINES:
- Send us a minimum of 800 and maximum of 2000 words. Please do not submit previously published work.
- Please submit only one written work per entry--multiple entries are permitted, but please make a separate submission for each entry.
- Simultaneous submissions at other magazines are okay. Notify us immediately if a piece is accepted elsewhere.
- Contest deadline is Monday, March 23, 2020 midnight EST.
- Winners will be announced on April 6th, 2020, and all winning entries will be published in Streetlight. Additionally, all contest entries will be further considered by our non-fiction editor for general publication in Streetlight's essay/memoir category.
- Entry fee: $10
- Winners will be chosen by a committee of Streetlight staff led by Susan Shafarzek, our Essay/Memoir editor.
This is a blind contest and your name will be hidden from our judges--do NOT include your name or address on the pages containing your work. CASH PRIZES (paid by check):
- 1st place: $125.00
- 2nd place: $75.00
- 3rd place: $50.00
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
- By submitting your work, you grant Streetlight Magazine first North American print and electronic publication rights and guarantee that the submission is your own, original writing. All rights return to the author after publication.
- If you publish your work again at a later date, we request that you include a notice stating that it was first published at Streetlight Magazine.
- Streetlight will only mark contest entries as ACCEPTED. Our editors do NOT decline contest entries nor close them out. After the contest deadline, winners are announced, and non-winning entries are considered for general publication.
- All winning entries will be published online this spring, as well as in the 2020 Streetlight annual print anthology. Some stories may be selected for podcast performance.